Tuesday, October 30, 2012

On30 thoughts

For the remainder of the week I will be devoting my time to finishing some HO ultra light weight 2'x4' modules. We have started a module club and I need to get caught up on the modules I promised to deliver.

This winter I hope to finish my 2x6' On30 modular layout. (Consisting of 3ea 2'x6' modules to start) Same design as the HO 2x6' modules I have been building, but these will have a 2" foam top and weignt less than 25lbs with the built in fold up legs.

I don't know why I didn't build my layouts on modules years ago?...

hummmm...I guess it's because I didn't have a planer, a chopsaw, a radial arm saw, a 10" table saw, a 14" band saw, and a floor stand 12" drill press and the like.

If you want to have a wonderful excuse to buy some great tools, build a house! I did...
I guess that without these tools, a 4x8' piece of 3/4" ply can be so appealing...

Maybe later we can talk about the tools one needs to do these On30 mods...

I'm looking forward to getting back to the Bachmann On30 2-6-0 mods soon...Vance



P.S. If any of you don't follow the Yahoo On30 group, there has been quite a discussion about Bachmann and their cracked gears and other quality control issues...

I myself have posted a few thoughts in agreement... but I will say it here...That us model railroaders generally have the patience and skills to fix mostly anything that the model railroad manufacturers can throw at us...so bring it on! ....not really...I have enough to fix for the moment... 

The cool thing is with the internet, we can rapidly disseminate the things we learn worldwide ...so we don't have to spend so much time re-inventing the wheel, or the sand dome, or the upgraded gearing...



Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment